Frank Lloyd Wright Quote

"Form follows function-that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union"

Frank Lloyd Wright

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Basement Roadmap

Now that I've got the budget for it, I'm getting a plan together for what I'm going to do in the basement this summer.  I've got to get some bids, figure out the permitting process, and then see how much of it I will be able to afford.

I hope to have the basement in a semi-finished state by the end of the summer.  That will make it "usable", if not "livable".
  • Upgrade Electrical Service
    • I plan on also moving the panel to the other side of the basement door so it won't be near water sources.
  • New Windows
    • Four small awning windows around the perimeter
    • One egress window in the new guest room
  • Plumbing Fixes
    • Fix the wonky drain pipe coming from the kitchen sink
    • Fix the plumbing in the basement bathroom
    • Run PEX everywhere
  • Add a winder stair
    • I should be able to get more headroom at the bottom of the stairwell if I add a winder at the top.
  • New walls and insulation
    • I need to frame new walls around the perimeter and insulate them.
  • Seismic Retrofit
    • Since I'll have access to the sill plates in the entire basement, now's the time to make it a little more earthquake resistant.
I'm sure that's more than I will be able to get done this summer, but it's a good goal to shoot for.  Wish me luck, and stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. We learned if you have any living space in the basement (not just a bedroom--a family room would be living space), you have to add an egress point. We're adding a door, because we wanted the entry point to the backyard.

    ReplyDelete