Frank Lloyd Wright Quote

"Form follows function-that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union"

Frank Lloyd Wright

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Skimcoat Dining Room Walls

Before I put on the first coat of drywall compound, I used some fiberglass mesh tape to cover any cracks in the plaster. The tape combined with the strong setting-type drywall compound will help prevent the cracks from reappearing in the future.


After taping the cracks I put up the first thin coat of "hot mud". It's a plaster-of-paris based mixture that sets chemically into a relatively hard layer. Tomorrow I will do the first topcoat using a regular light topping compound, to be followed by one last topcoat later this week. If all goes well I'll be putting up moulding within a week or two.




Lesson Learned: Clean the walls first!!! I usually go over the walls with the edge of a 6" drywall knife to knock off any cling-ons leftover from the wallpaper. I obviously forgot. Don't make the same mistake! It's very frustrating to be putting on a beautifully flat, thin coat of mud, only to have a gouge running down the middle. Argh!

4 comments:

  1. Ahh! Its so pretty! Please come do my house kthxbai!

    Did you use regular drywall compound? And how did you deal with cracks? We have LOTS of those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dumb and should've read your previous post too! Hee!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You reminded me that I totally forgot to talk about the fiberglass mesh tape I use for the cracks. I'll post more on that tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I edited this post to add a pic of the fiberglass tape.

    ReplyDelete