Frank Lloyd Wright Quote

"Form follows function-that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union"

Frank Lloyd Wright

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

OKeefe & Merritt Rebuild Begins


Disassembled O'Keefe & Merritt Gas Stove
I started disassembling our O'Keefe & Merritt antique gas stove so all of the mechanical parts can be refurbished.  I'm going to send the burner heads, burner valves, thermostat, and other stuff to Antique Gas Stoves in California, where they will re-porcelain, rebuild, and rechrome all the pieces to make them as good as new.

Old gas burner heads, burner tubes, and the manifold with the valves and thermostat


After I get the stove working like new, I'll use it for a while to see how I like cooking on a vintage stove.  If I still like it, I'll probably do a more thorough restoration and have all of the chrome redone as well replacing a few missing odds and ends.



4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your o'Keefe & Merritt! I really love the Chambers range I fixed up a few months ago. A quality old stove like yours can perform really well, with a style a new stove just can't touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just purchased a 1949 O'keefe and Merritt. I am very new to refurbishing it. Good luck with your stove! Please post as you get it put together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive project; how is it going? I hope well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you were careful with that drawer full of insulation. Something this old might have had some nasty stuff (asbestos) in it.
    Please post some updates on the project.

    ReplyDelete